Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Giddy-up"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||STAGSEGELSCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Bermudaschoner|
|Overall length:||26.80 m|
|Sail area:||330 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 05 Jan 2022
- built in 1958 based on the plans of old fishing cutters on the Atlantic Coast of France, built from oak timbers and teak planks.
- worked as a tuna boat in the Irish Sea until 1983.
- in 1984 bought by owners from L'Orient near Brest, FRA, taken to Sicily and converted for charter and long-distance voyages; interior was refitted and she was given a modern aluminium rigging for simple and fast handling when sailing long distances.
- by 1993 she had sailed to Cyprus, Greece, Spain, Tunisia, Algeria and Corsica; the crew took the sailing boat through the Suez Canal into the Red Sea and on to the Sudan.
- since 1994 she has mainly been used for adventure voyages with young people and mixed international crews in the Baltic Sea.
- took part in regattas in Flensburg, Kiel, Rostock, Copenhagen, Karlskrona and Helsingør.
- in summer 2000 she was found in poor condition in Flensburg, GER
- after some overhaul of the hull the restoring of the ship was continued, seen in Flensburg again in May 2002.
- sunk 2 times in Flensburg habour in September 2006, brought to Kiel, where she sunk again in October.
- after years under water she was salvaged and scrapped in Kiel in February 2019.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 90 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data