Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Greif"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BRIGANTINE|
|Yard:||Warnowwerft, Warnemünde/Rostock, GER|
|Overall length:||41.00 m|
|Length (hull):||35.00 m|
|Sail area:||570 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 31 Jan 2022
- the first post-war steel vessel built at the Warnowerft in Rostock/Warnemnde (East Germany) in 1951, launched on May 26, 1951 and christened the "Wilhelm Pieck" for the first presedent of the German Democratic Republic, commissioned als sailtraining ship on August 2, 1951.
- homeported in Rostock until 1954, when she was moved to Greifswald-Wieck, operated by the "Gesellschaft für Sport und Technik" (GST) of the GDR
- has been used as a training ship for 40 years; in that time she sailed about 112.000 sm and has trained around 7.000 young people in nautical skills, longest voyage to the Black Sea in 1957 where she called the ports of Constanta, Odessa, Varna and Gibraltar.
- took part in the 1974 Operation Sail in Gdansk.
- 1990 participation in the 1st German-German sailing meeting in Wismar,
- in February 1991 given to the Hanseatic town Greifswald as owner, renamed the "Greif", since then she is the flagship of Mecklenburg/Pomerania, operator is the "See- und Tauchsportzentrum Greifswald".
- overhaul in the shipyard in Rostock in 1991 sponsored by the foundation "Pamir-Passat-Stiftung" and money of town Greifswald.
- as member of the STA Germany she participates sailing meeting, 1991 1. Hanse Sail Rostock, 1992 visit in Kotka/FIN on the occasion of the Cutty Sark Tallships Race and in Bremerhaven to the final event of the international Columbus-Regatta, frequent guest of the Hamburg habour birthday, Kiel Week and Hanse Sail Rostock.
- sucessful participation in regattas during the Hanse Sail Rostock, she won the races 1994, 1995, 2001, winner of the "Hiorten"-Regatta 1997 from Karlskrona to Rostock.
- after many years of use for sailing trips, mainly on the Baltic Sea between Greifswald and Copenhagen, she was temporarily shut down in spring 2020, collection of donations and state subsidies for a general renovation of the hull, 2021 start of some work on the hull by volunteer supporters, is to be transferred to a shipyard in spring 2022.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 29 Jan 2022):
Schoonerbrig Greif: data, rig, history, voyage programme, some photos, contacts
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 86 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Mitsegeln auf Sail-Training-Schiffen - Ein praktisches Handbuch der S.T.A.G. mit Schiffsportraits"
Nordwestdeutsche Verlagsgesellschaft Bremerhaven ISBN: 3-927 857-61-0
Page: 72 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 97 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 96,286 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Segelschulschiff Greif (ex. SSS Wilhelm Pieck)"
Simon Frey Verlag 2007 ISBN: 978-3-938494-05-5
Page: 4-148 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
(Planbuch für Modellbauer)