Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Fantome III"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||4-MAST-STAGSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||Ansaldo S.A., Livorno|
|Overall length:||80.00 m|
|Length (hull):||67.60 m|
|Sail area:||1900 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 30 Jan 2001
- originally laid down as a destroyer for the Italian fleet, the vessel was completed as a private yacht for the Herzog of Westminster in 1927
- cruised in the Mediterranean under the name "Flying Cloud"
- 1932 bought by a new owner from Philadelphia, fitted with new engines
- in 1937 she was renamed the "Fantome III", and then overhauled and modernized to sail the Pacific under English flag, registered port was Southhampton
- the ship was laid up in Seattle from 1939 until the end of War
- after the death of her owner she came under American flag again, 1956 bought by the Omiros Maritima SA., rebuilding of the ship in Kiel/GER, removal of a deckhouse, after that without use in Kiel
- in 1969 bought by Windjammer Cruises Inc. from Florida, she was converted into a sailing cruise liner with luxury accommodation
- she was re-rigged as a hybrid of a staysail schooner and topsail schooner
- one week trips with alternating courses in the West Indies
- she was completely overhauled in 1991 to enlarge the cabins as well as install a new engine and tanks
- 10/27/98 lost due to Hurrican Mitch on the shore of Hondurras 31 person lost their lives
Contact:Website (English, 16 Nov 2000):
The Windjammer Fantome - A cornered ship, 31 men and a date with doom, Published Sunday, November 8, 1998, in the Miami Herald
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 137 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 96 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact