Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Undine"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Franziska, Palmyra, Annelies, Gerd-Ute, Nordstrand 1|
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Yard:||Gebr. Niestern & Co., Delfzijl, NL|
|Overall length:||37.70 m|
|Length (hull):||28.80 m|
|Sail area:||420 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||DW 4 M 36|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 24 Nov 2014
- built 1931 in Delfzijl, NL as freighter for the coastal trade, first name was "Franziska", rigged as a gaff ketch.
- owner Capt. F. Werner from Tornesh near Uetersen, GER used the ship in the Batic Sea and North Sea region.
- 1937 fitted with stronger engine.
- in World War II used by the Deutsche Kriegsmarine (German Navy) as supply ship for the German troops between Germany and Norway, 1945 transport of refugee over the Baltic Sea followed by a 2 years shut-down after the war, used for some time in the German domestic trade.
- 1949 lenghtening of the hull by 6 metre, after the removal of the rigging used as a motor freighter, some further reconstructions followed the years after.
- 1952-58 property of Capt. R. Fischer from Uetersen, GER and renamed the "Palmyra", registered in Hamburg.
- 1958-61 new owner Capt. H. Knudsen and homeport Glückstadt, GER, renamed the "Annelies".
- 1961-66 she became the property of Capt. H. v. Borstel from Gauensiek, homeport Hamburg, used under the new name "Gerd-Ute".
- 1966-77 owned by Capt. R. Rottpeter from Husum, renamed into "Nordstrand 1".
- 1977-80 used by owner H. Bartels from Wedel.
- 1980 sold to Capt. Joachim Kaiser, Glückstadt, begin of a 4-years restoration and rebuilt to her original appearance, renamed the "Undine".
- put into service for social work with youth, she became a freighter in the North and Baltic Seas, upto 8 teenagers aboard are integrated in all work and so get a preparation to a normal life at land.
- since 1999 owned by the association "Gangway" e.V.; further used in her mission for education and to redirect troubled and disadvantaged youths, financed through the youth welfare department of Hamburg.
- as the last active freighter under sail in European waters she is available for private and business trips as well es weekend journeys since 2006/07 too.
- between autumn 2009 and 2012 laid up in Hamburg.
- since November 2012 used by Cpt. Torben Hass as cargo ship, since February 2013 owned by the shipping company Segelreederei Kapitän Hass e.K.; May to October used as cargo ship between Hamburg and the island Sylt, during the winter used as cargo ship worldwide; pilot scheme as well as advertising medium for sustainable sea transports under sails (Windjammer-Shipping Projekt).
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 24 Nov 2014):
Undine: website of the shipping company with basic information and history about the ship, commercial offers as cargo ship, photos, contact
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 106 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with technical data Quelle with contact
Gert Uwe Detlefsen, Stefan Lipsky, Heinz Trost
"Veteranen- und Museumsschiffe"
Verlag Gert Uwe Detlefsen 1997 ISBN: 3-928473-34-4
(3. umfassend erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 182 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 120 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Mitteilungsblatt der Freunde des Gaffelriggs
Page: 34-35 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
"Undine von Hamburg seit 25 Jahren im Auftrag der Jugendhilfe unterwegs"