Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Ubena von Bremen"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Ubena von Bremen|
|Type of rigging:||HANSEKOGGE|
|Type of ship:||Hansekogge|
|Overall length:||23.23 m|
|Sail area:||200 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||MWM Deutz V8 Turbodiesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 30 Nov 2001
- discovery of an unfinished cog in the Weser mudflats in 1962, this ship was probably covered with sand and mud during a storm in 1380, it was preserved in good condition, her measurements and preserved sections were used as a model for the replica built of this old cog, a new yard called the "Hanse-Kogge-Werft" Bremerhaven was set up for this purpose.
- keel laid on July 21, 1988.
- the sail dimensions and functionality were tested through repeated sailing experiments.
- the ship is equipped with a modern diesel engine, nautical equipment and a rudder. She therefore combines historical style with current technology and safety features.
- her ease of sailing and manoeuvrability have shown how effective old cogs from 1380 can be.
- hoisted into water on August 18, 1990, commissioned on July 27, 1991, visited the Hanseatic towns Lübeck, Wismar, Stettin, Gdansk, Greifswald, Stralsund, Rostock and Kiel, 1992 she visited Emden, Papenburg, Saßnitz, Visby, Stockholm, Riga, Reval, Memel and Kaliningrad.
- sails with youth and other guests on traditional routes of the Hanseatic League as "good will ambassador", often participates the big events for sailing ships in the North Sea and baltic Sea area as the Sail Bremerhaven or Hanse Sail Rostock
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 21 May 2021):
Ubena von Bremen: website with history and technical measurements, researching cogs, about the operator, shop, sailing schedules, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 105 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Mitsegeln auf Sail-Training-Schiffen - Ein praktisches Handbuch der S.T.A.G. mit Schiffsportraits"
Nordwestdeutsche Verlagsgesellschaft Bremerhaven ISBN: 3-927 857-61-0
Page: 97 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 149 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 119 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Abenteuer Hanse-Kogge, Logbuch einer Seereise in die Geschichte"
Deutsche Verlagsanstalt, Stuttgart ISBN: 3-421-06537-3
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 224,225,226 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Mitteilungsblatt der Freunde des Gaffelriggs
Page: 50-52 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
Volker Gries, Hannes Seifert
"Erstes Koggentreffen in Wismar 2006 - Jungfernfahrt der Wissemara"