Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Libelle Stockholm"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Libelle, Prince Hamlet|
|Type of rigging:||STAGSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||Sietas Werft, Hamburg, GER|
|Overall length:||36.30 m|
|Sail area:||360 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||MAK Diesel M36|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Dec 2010
- built as a cargo sailing ship at the Sietas yard in Hamburg in 1930.
- installation of an engine in 1935 in order to sail in all weather situations, the solid, slow-running diesel engine is still in operation after a general overhaul in 1988.
- overhauled in Svendborg in 1985/86, converted and equipped for sailing with guests, e.g. former ship holds were converted to cabins, meeting rooms and social areas, sails in the Baltic Sea, the Mediterranean and Caribbean.
- following an old sailing tradition, every sailing guest gets a job on board such as mess duty, helm watch or off-watch, sailors learn traditional skills on a sailing ship.
- schooner has been travelling for some time under the colours of Malta, with Valetta as the home port.
- 1990 change of owner, after another overhaul she is presented as an active veteran sailing ship to the public since 1991.
- 1995/96 another general overhaul, since then she sails under German flag.
- 2010 sold to Bert Berglund, Stockholm, SWE; renamed the "Libelle Stockholm", after restoration she will be used as a hostel during the winter and for sail training during the summer.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 149 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Arne Koslowski (Hrsg.)
"traditions - Geschichten aus dem Meer erzählt von Skippern traditioneller Schiffe"
KardesH-Verlag 2005 ISBN: 3-938314-01-X
Page: 50 Source with picture Source with technical data
(Erzählung von Horst Küster)