Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Zawisza Czarny II"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Zawisza Czarny II|
|Type of rigging:||3-MAST-STAGSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||Stocznia Pólnocna, Gdansk, PL|
|Overall length:||42.90 m|
|Length (hull):||36.07 m|
|Sail area:||550 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 11 Jan 2014
- the ship is named after a famous Polish knight who fought victoriously against another order of knights in the 15th century; according to the legend he was couragous, brave and reliable and the ship is therefore expected to reflect these qualities.
- built as a fishing vessel in Gdansk in 1952, named the "Cietrzew".
- bought by the Polish sea scouts in 1961 and then converted to 3m staysail schooner to be used as a training and adventure ship, renamed the "Zawisza Czarny II".
- extended by 4 meters during further work in 1965-66.
- 1980 renewal of the deck house and accomodations for the crew as well as electrical equipment.
- training trips with mixed youth crews; participation in different races e.g. 1984 to Canada and the US visiting the Great Lakes and participating the Operation Sail, 1989-1990 circumnavigation in several legs, crossing the Atlantic during the 1992 Grand Columbus Regatta, 1996 Cutty Sark Tall Ship Races, the 1997 Genoa-Palma-Naples-Race and the 1997 Aberdeen-Trondheim-Stavanger-Göteborg race.
- her crew has received a "Fair Play Award" from the Olympic Committee in 1984 when she saved the lives of 8 crew member of the barque "Marques" which sunk during the Tall Ships Race of the Bermudan coast.
- 1991 overhaul in a shipyard in Gdynia, PO.
- sailed around the Cape Horn in winter 1998/99.
- mainly used in the Baltic Sea and North Sea, 2006 visit of the Shetland Islands.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (po polsky, 01 Jul 2005):
S/Y Zawisza Czarny II: description of the ship with history, technical specification, photos, about the patron, news, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 267 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Windjammer der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1999 ISBN: 3-89225-396-X
(franz. Originalausgabe: "Les Plus Beaux Voiliers Du Monde", 1997)
Page: 178 Source with picture Source with history
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 185 Source with picture
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 219 Source with picture
(kurzer beschreibender Text)
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 175 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 297 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 197 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data