Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Pogoria"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BARKENTINE|
|Yard:||Stocznia Gdanska, Gdansk, PL|
|Overall length:||46.80 m|
|Length (hull):||40.00 m|
|Sail area:||1050 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 18 Dec 2009
- built as a prototype for a series of ships in Gdansk/Poland in 1980, the barkentines "Iskra II" (1982) of Poland and "Kaliakra" (1984) of Bulgaria and the similarly-hulled "Oceania" (1985) of Poland with an experimental rig belong to this series.
- owner and operator became the Iron Shackle Fraternity, a sail training organisation aimed at youngsters in trouble
- she is considered fast at international regattas and was present at Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race 1980, Sail America in 1986, Sail Rostock in 1991 and 1993, several sailing festivals in the Great Lakes area 1994, Sail Amsterdam 1995 and the Cutty-Sark Races 1996-2003, awarded the Cutty-Sark-Trophy in 1999
- 1980-81 chartered by the Polish Academy of Science for a voyage to the Antarctic seas as a relief vessel for Polish scientists with visits of the King George Islands and the Falklands
- 1983-84 chartered by a "Class Afloat" project, a voyage with Polish and western trainees around Africa, with a crossing of the Indian Ocean to Bombay and Colombo before heading for Cape Town via the Seychelles
- 1985-91 chartered in a similar projekt for Canadian youngsters, 1985-86 another circumnavigation of Africas, visits to Montreal and New York, 1987-88 round-the-world voyage, experienced by these voyages "Class Afloat" association came up who operates an own vessel, the "Concordia" (1992), today
- 1992/93 necessary refit but short funds resulted in the Gdynia Sailing Foundation becoming part owner and operator, evolving in 1995 into the Sail Training Association Poland.
- since 1999 she is operated in the Mediterranean with Genoa as baseport in cooperation with STA Italia during the winter.
- in July 2009 dismasted in the Baltic Sea during the Tallship Race organised by the STI, towed to Hanko, FIN.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (English, 10 May 2000):
Ocean Masters Sailing Academy: the Pogoria, a lot of photos, the summer 2000 schedule, contact address of the academy, info about the education at the academy
Website (po polsky/English, 22 Dec 2003):
Pogoria: official website of the ship with history, photos, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ollivier Puget, Jean-Noël Darde
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
Page: 130 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 266 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 156 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 120 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 136 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 296 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 149 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
American Sail Training Association (ASTA)
"Sail Tall Ships! A Directory of Sail Training and Adventure at Sea"
2007 ISBN: 978-0-9799878-0-9
Page: 236 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact