Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Kaliakra"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BARKENTINE|
|Yard:||Stocznia Gdanska, Gdansk, PL|
|Overall length:||49.90 m|
|Length (hull):||42.80 m|
|Sail area:||885 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 10 Sep 2011
- sailtraining ship for Bulgarian officer cadets at the 3 navigation schools in Varna on the Black Sea, usually sails educational voyages in the Black Sea and Mediterranean, can also be used by youth organizations.
- In spite of the long trip involved, the sailboat has participated in Tall Ships Races since 1986 and took part in the North Sea Race in 1986, Baltic Sea regattas in 1987 and 1988, was present at the 200th anniversary of the French revolution in Rouen, participation in the final event of the tall ships races in Hamburg, 1990 regatta Plymouth - La Coruña - Bordeaux.
- for economic reasons, the ship has been taken out of operation from time to time.
- Teilnahme an der Columbus Regatta 1992, Tall Ships Race 1996 in the Mediterranean Tall Ships Race 1997 Aberdeen - Trontheim - Bergen - Stavanger - Göteborg, Tall Ships Race 1998 Falmouth Cornwall - Lisbon - Vigo - Dublin, Tallships 2000 in Genova and Cadiz, Tall Ships Race 2001 Antwerp - Alesund and Bergen - Esbjerg (awarded the prize "Peter and Simon Krouter Memorial Trophy" of the International Sail Training Association (ISTA) for the most impressive, skilled and well-trained crew), Tall Ships Race 2002 Alicante - Málaga - La Coruña - Santander - Portsmouth, Tall Ships Race 2006 Saint Malo - Lisbon - Cádiz - La Coruña - Antwerp, Tall Ships Race 2007 Barcelona - Genova - Toulon - Alicante, Tall Ships Race 2008 Liverpool - Måløy - Bergen - Den Helder, visited the Sail Bremerhaven 2008, Tall Ships Race 2009, Gdynia - St. Petersburg - Turku - Klaipeda, visited the Hanse Sail Rostock 2009, Garibaldi Tall Ships Race 2010 and Historical Seas Tall Ships Regatta 2010 in the Mediterranean.
- for economic reasons she didn't leave her home region in 2011.
- A square stern is a characteristic feature of these in Poland designed and built ships. The plan for this class of vessels was drawn up by the famous Polish designer Zygmunt Choren. Similar hull construction have the Polish barkentines "Pogoria" (1980) and "Iskra II" (1982) and the "Oceania" (1985) with a 3-masted experimental rig.
- named to honour a legendary Bulgarian girl, who escaped from being converted to the Islam by the Turkish occupying forces in the 14th century by suicide at the Cape Kaliakra, a well known region at the Northern Bulgarian coast at the Black Sea.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (English/?????????, 10 Sep 2011):
Kaliakra: website of the ship at the Bulgarian Maritime Training Centre of Varna, specification, some photos, history and participation in tallships races, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 48 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 118 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 131 Source with picture
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 195, 198 Source with picture
(kurzer beschreibender Text)
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 102 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 56 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
American Sail Training Association (ASTA)
"Sail Tall Ships! A Directory of Sail Training and Adventure at Sea"
2007 ISBN: 978-0-9799878-0-9
Page: 184 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact