Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Sir Winston Churchill"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Sir Winston Churchill|
|Type of rigging:||3-MAST-TOPPSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||R. DUNSTON, UK|
|Overall length:||45.70 m|
|Length (hull):||41.04 m|
|Sail area:||818 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||2 * Perkins Diesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Jun 2000
- was ISTA's first youth sailing ship in 1966 and offered an inspiring youth programme for guests from all social strata in the UK
- the ship was so well received that another with identical rigging and measurements entered service in 1968 (the "Malcolm Miller").
- ports are hardly visited during tours and there is no maritime training on board because youth work involving adventure pursuits forms the focus of training. This is intended to promote positive qualities
- mixed youth crews have participated in many international sailing meetings. As an appreciation for their fair play the crew received the ISTA "Cutty Sark Trophy" in 1984 and a prize for being the youngest crew
- the ship participated in Sail Kiel 1972, Sail Amsterdam 1985, the 1992 Baltic Race, Sail Bremerhaven 1995 and Baltic Sail 1996
- the ship was decommissioned from the British STA and be replaced by a new brig at the end of 2,000.
- has completed its extensive refurnishment and conversion into a luxury cruise vessel.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ollivier Puget, Jean-Noël Darde
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
Page: 150 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 156 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 180 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 172 Source with picture
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 131 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 155 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 168 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data