Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Oban"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Marie AE95, Ruth, Sea Explorer, Elektra|
|Type of rigging:||STAGSEGELSCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Heringslogger|
|Yard:||Cassens Werft, Emden, GER|
|Overall length:||34.00 m|
|Length (hull):||29.90 m|
|Sail area:||370 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 18 Dec 2009
- built in Emden in 1903 and used for the Dutch herring-fish industry, registered as AE95 and first name was "Marie".
- in the economic crisis in 1930 sold to Denmark, where she was used between the Danish islands and the Swedish coastal towns; fitted with an engine now, named the "Ruth" and owned by Hans Rasmussen.
- 1935 lengthening of the hull by 2m.
- Name was "Sea Explorer" in 1970, new engine of 250 hp.
- 1981 sold to the Netherlands and begin of a four-years renovation.
- since 1985 she has sailed the North and Baltic Seas with guest as a charter ship, often along the southern coastline of England and to the Channel Islands, known as "Elektra" in this time.
- has taken part successfully in tall ships races.
- passengers can actively participate in the work on board under expert instruction.
- 1999 became Jolanda and Olaf Broekstra the new owners and the ship was renamed the "Oban".
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (nederlands/deutsch, 11 Apr 2021):
Logger Oban: website of the ship with sailing offers, photos and contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 143 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data