Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Großherzogin Elisabeth"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||San Antonio, Santoni, Buddi, Ariadne|
|Type of rigging:||3-MAST-SCHONER|
|Yard:||Scheepswerft Jan Smit, Alblasserdam, NL|
|Overall length:||63.70 m|
|Length (hull):||53.10 m|
|Sail area:||1010 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 04 Nov 2001
- built on order of the Dutch shipowner Andreas Hammerstein at the shipyard of Jan Smit in Alblasserdam as 3-masted schooner with collapsible masts and auxiliary engine, launched on August 19th, 1909 and christened the "San Antonio".
- used between 1910 and 1913 as freighter to the Mediterranean, South America and in the North and Baltic Sea.
- run aground on January 25th, 1914 at the coast of Morocco near Rabat, however she came free with the help of her machine.
- capsize in winter 1929 with a timber cargo load next to Copenhagen, she could be salvaged and get on the road again.
- 1936 converted to a motor coaster with a new engine and an auxiliary rig
- at outbreak of the war the owner flew on board the ship to England, since 1940 she has been to transport evacuees and for reinforcements in the allied convoys.
- 1947 sold to Swedish owners, renamed the "Buddi", used as supplyer for Swedish towns on the coasts following several changes of the owner and the renaming to "Santoni".
- bought by captain Hartmut Paschburg from Hamburg in August 1973, she was in a poor and neglected condition, rebuilt at the shipyard van Kroosz in Wischhaven and the shipyard in Stade, conversion to a 3-masted schooner for cruising the Mediterranean and Caribbean, renamed the "Ariadne", has been used as sailing cruiser until autumn 1981.
- found by shipowner and captain Horst Werner Janssen from Elsfleth/GER in the port of Pireás in October 1981, who chartered the ship and transported her to Elsfleth, in January 1982 the organization "Schulschiffverein Großherzogin Elisabeth" e.V. was founded, renaming of the ship to "Großherzogin Elisabeth" after a former sailing schoolship based in the town (the today's "Duchesse Anne").
- in June 1983 the administrative district Wesermarsch bought her with the finacial help of the federal state Niedersachsen and the town Elsfleth, used for educational voyages in the North Sea and Baltic Sea and as a as a floating boarding school for young seamen in winter time in the following years.
- 1993 a heavy fire caused by welding during a overhaul in the shipyard of Elsfleth damaged the ship, with great commitment of the Schulschiffverein and other sponsors these damages could be repaired, she became the property of the Schulschiffverein "Großherzogin Elisabeth".
- she often participates sailing events like the Kieler Woche, Hanse Sail Rostock or Sail Bremerhaven, took part in the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race 1996 from Rostock to St. Petersburg, sailed the 2nd Hiorten Regatta Karlskrona-Rostock 1998
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 22 Dec 2003):
Sail Training Ship Großherzogin Elisabeth: website about the ship with chronicle and history of the ship, information for trainees, photos, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die schönsten Traditionssegler in Deutschland"
Verlag Rolf Kelling-Eischeid, Kiel 1987 ISBN: 3-924381-12-7
Page: 95 Source with picture Source with history
(kurzer beschreibender Text)
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 88 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 108 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Mitsegeln auf Sail-Training-Schiffen - Ein praktisches Handbuch der S.T.A.G. mit Schiffsportraits"
Nordwestdeutsche Verlagsgesellschaft Bremerhaven ISBN: 3-927 857-61-0
Page: 75 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 79 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 84 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 100 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Edward P. de Groot
"San Antonio, Kroniek van een Nederlandse driemastschoener"
De Boer Maritiem, Unieboek bv, Bussum, The Netherlands 1978 ISBN: 90 228 1990 6
Source with picture Source with history
(ex-Name San Antonio)
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 98 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data