Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Nordlyset II"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Yard:||T.F. Nielsen, Rodvig, DK|
|Overall length:||32.00 m|
|Sail area:||340 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 11 Feb 2006
- built 1894 in Rödvig, DK by the shipyard owner T.F. Nielsen as schooner rigged cargo ship, voyages with different goods in the North and Baltic Sea, mainly bound to Greenland.
- 1937 fitted with the first auxiliary engine, a 75 hp Grena, contunuing use as freighter.
- in the beginning of the 1960s converted to be used as plattform for stone fishing, installation of a rudder house, no rigging, 1 mast used as crane, she also fished seaweed for the pharmaceutical industry until 1976.
- 1977 laid up, 1978 completely took to pieces and by 13 assistants she was restored according old plans at a Danish shipyard, what took 44300 hours until 1981, equipped to be used as passenger sailing ship.
- 2005 appreciation by Danish authorities as valuable museum ship to be preserved and maintained with care.
- offers day and evening trips and longer voyages for sailing guests.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with technical data Quelle with contact