Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Providentia HF42"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Siv, Shell XV|
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Finkenwerder Kutter-Ewer, Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||J. Carsten Wriede, Hamburg Finkenwerder, GER|
|Overall length:||29.90 m|
|Length (hull):||22.50 m|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 06 Mar 2021
- 1895 built at the shipyard J. Carsten Wriede in Hamburg Finkenwerder, GER; used in the fishery in the North Sea registered as HF42 "Providentia", changing owners.
- first engine fitted in the beginning of the 1920s.
- 1923 confiscated by the Norwegean customs during smuggle, sold in an auction in Frederikstad, after this again sold to Sweden, renamed the "Shell XV", registration in Malmö, SWE.
- converted into a cargo ship, removal of the mizzen mast and jib boom, since 1930 used under new name "Siv".
- since 1960 used as diving platform and tug.
- since 1978 used for an expedition to the Arctic ocean as well as icebreaker off Stockholm, SWE.
- since the mid of the 1980s mainly privately used by a family of a Swedish paper manufacturer.
- 1993 sold to Matthias Betzold, transferred to Hamburg, begin of an exhaustive restoration and recovery of her original appearance of the hull from her time used in the fishery.
- 2012 taken over by the school Ostseeschule in Flensburg and the association HF42 "Providentia", contituation of the restoration by young people and voluntary supporters.
- April 2017 safety certification by the German authorities as traditional sailtraining ship.
- sailing trips with young people, participation in sailing events in Kiel and Flensburg, GER.
- 2019 used as floating classroom in the project "Seegang 2019" for several weeks.
Contact:Website (deutsch, 06 Mar 2021):
Providentia HF42: history with many photos, target of the project, information about the operator, news, contact