Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Barnabas SS634"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of ship:||Cornish Lugger|
|Yard:||Henry Trevorrow, St Ives, GBR|
|Overall length:||11.95 m|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 17 Jul 2014
- built by Henry Trevorrow at Porthgwidden Beach, St. Ives in 1881; registerred by the first owner Barnabas Thomas as a second class pilchard boat in October 1881, later registered as a first class mackerel driver (SS634).
- fishing for mackerel, sometimes as far West as the Isles of Scilly, and in mid-summer switched to catch herring in the Irish Sea, often fishing off Howth, near Dublin.
- 1917 fitted with a 26hp petrol/paraffin engine.
- continued to fish from St. Ives until 1954, then sold and converted to a yacht, kept in Falmouth.
- 1980 she was in the hands of the Maritime Trust who restored her in 1985, thanks to the generosity of Peter Cadbury, whose family had owned her in the 1950s.
- 1994 bought by the Cornish Maritime Trust.
- 1996 a new engine was fitted, but by 2001 she was unseaworthy.
- extensive full restoration started in 2005 with the aid of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- relaunched with a new engine in July 2006, sailed by the Cornish Maritime Trust from her base in Mousehole harbour.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Historic Sail. Britain's Surviving Working Craft"
The History Press 2013 ISBN: 978-0-7524-8581-2
(in Association with National Historic Ships UK)
Page: 26, 28 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data