Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Brødrene af Sand"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Brødrene af Sand|
|Type of rigging:||KUTTER|
|Type of ship:||Ryfylke Jakt|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 12 Feb 2012
- built 1866 in Dokkskar, Yrkjesfjorden, NOR by boatbuilder Lars Andersen and John Andersen Hapnes on order of Truls Nielsen; 1876 taken by Elling Trulsen Bru to be used for trading in the Baltic Sea.
- used for coastal trading and as mail boat.
- 1876-1881 Thomas Olsen Hodne from Rennesøy, NOR became skipper.
- about 1892 sold to Jon Jonsen Hanasand, moved to Østhusvik, NOR since 1893.
- 1896 general renewal of planks with change of the type from clinker building to carvel building.
- 1905 bought by Sven Njelsen Eide, part owner was the brother Nils Njelsen Eide between 1909-11 and since 1917.
- 1917 fitted with an engine (22 hp).
- 1930-34 general overhaul.
- until 1967 transport of post, wood, sand, ice; trading with salted fish for England, trips to the North up to the Lofoten islands and to the South down to Denmark and in the Baltic Sea.
- 1962 taken by Bjarne Eide.
- 1967 sold to Brendeland in Haugesund, 1969 to Tryggen Larsen from Nesodden, begin of the restoration.
- 1995 foundation of a non-profit association "Brødrene af Sand" (The brothers of Sand) to maintain and operate the ship.
- taken by the Ryfylkemuséet in Sand, NOR since 1997, restoration in a 2-years job in Nordheimsund (Hardang centre of crafts).
- operated by the non-profit association, offered for sailing with guests in the region.