Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Marie-Fernand"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Margerite II, Léonora|
|Registered port:||Le Havre|
|Yard:||Chantiers Abel Lemarchand, Le Havre, FRA|
|Overall length:||21.00 m|
|Length (hull):||15.90 m|
|Sail area:||180 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 12 Mar 2011
- one of the many pilot boats from the end of the 19th century which were based on the French Western coast during this time, and which because of the black hull and white sails were called the "Swallows of the English Channel".
- built 1894 by Abel Lemarchand for the pilot Eugène Prentout, who baptised her to the names of his both children.
- used in pilot service until about 1914, since 1909 by pilot Gaston Maillard.
- between 1917 until 1922 used in the fishery by Louis Chégaray and later M. Maréchal.
- reconstruction to a yacht for private use, owner Archibald Cameron, registered in England for a long time named the "Margerite II" and "Léonora", later owned by ship brooker Peter Gregson.
- 1985 found by the French association "L' Hirondelle de la Manche" in England and purchased, return to Honfleur on June 17, 1985; begin of restoring, since 1986 she is acknowledged as a historic monument, supported by on-going restoring, special credits go to Norbert Chapelle and Léone Maine, comissioned as active sailing veteran during the sailing festival in Brest 1992.
- 2004-2008 general overhaul at the shipyard Chantier du Guip in Brest, FRA.
Contact:Website (français/(English prepared), 12 Mar 2011):
Marie-Fernand: website of the owning association, photos, history, contact