Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Lady Daphne"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BARGE|
|Type of ship:||Thames Sailing Barge|
|Yard:||Short Bros. Ltd, Backfields, Rochester, GBR|
|Overall length:||27.67 m|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Mar 2008
- built 1923 as wooden Thames sailing barge for the English coastal trade by Short Bros. Ltd, Backfields, Rochester for David J. Bradley, Rochester, GB; named the "Lady Daphne".
- 1932 fitted with an oil engine (4 cyl. 4SA Kelvin).
- 1937 sold to R. & W. Paul (Maltsters) Ltd., Ipswich, GB.
- 1947 fitted with a new engine.
- in Sept. 1973 sold to Taylor Woodrow Property Ltd., London, converted to a promotional and charter barge.
- in Jan. 1986 re-engined with a Mermaid Mariner (Ford 2725E).
- since 1996 owned by Elisabeth and Michael Mainelli who are raising funds through charter to maintain and restore her to her original condition, carries a passenger certificate today for sailing with guests on day trips, managed by Nymph Limited.
Contact:Website (English, 28 Feb 2008):
Lady Daphne: website with history, pictures and contact information