Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Centaur"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Registered port:||Maldon, Essex|
|Type of rigging:||BARGE|
|Type of ship:||Thames Sailing Barge|
|Yard:||John and Herbert Cann, Bathside, Gashouse Creek, Harwich|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Mar 2008
- built and launched at Harwich in 1895 by John and Herbert Cann, Bathside, Gashouse Creek.
- originally owned by Charles Stone, around 1900 passed to Dolly Rogers, in 1911 to Ted Gibbs and in 1915 to John Sawyer, later owned by Francis & Gilders and then by the London & Rochester Trading Company, trading under sail.
- 1944 de-rigged for use as a timber lighter by Brown & Co.
- bought by Richard Duke, rigged again for use as a holiday charter vessel at Maldon in 1965.
- bought in 1974 by the Thames Sailing Barge Trust at Maldon, since 1977 extensively restored and rebuilt.
- offers passenger sailing trips as well as operating as a charter barge, regularly takes part in annual barge races and sails from several ports in Essex, Kent and Suffolk.