Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Zephyr"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Yard:||Van Diepen, Waterhuizen, NL|
|Overall length:||36.00 m|
|Length (hull):||28.90 m|
|Sail area:||360 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 03 Feb 2007
- built 1931 as motor ship with auxiliary sails named "Bente" in the Van Diepen shipyard, Waterhuizen, Friesland, NL.
- until 1953 cargo-ship on the Baltic Sea.
- until 1992 transport of goods to Norway for Norwegian owner, registered in Stavanger, conversion of the masts into crans for loading goods, new deck house, stronger engine, renamed the "Jeko".
- 1993 purchased by a Dutchman, conversion to a sailing ship for voyages with passengers, renamed the "Zephyr".
- participation in sailing events, i.e. Brest 2004, Kiel Week 2006.
- name "Zephyr" after Zephyros, the Greek god of the wind.