Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Vieux Copain"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Dundee Thonier (Thunfischfänger), Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||Espoir Sablais, Sables d'Olonnes, FRA|
|Overall length:||29.00 m|
|Length (hull):||18.00 m|
|Sail area:||232 m2|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 20 Mar 2011
- built 1940 in Sables d'Olonnes for a fisherman from the island Île d'Yeu, who used her until his retirement in the fishery for tunafish an for trawl net fishing during the winter, sold 1974.
- 2-years expedition to the North Atlantic, "Vieux Copain" was used as the base for scientific surveys, when she came home the ship suffered from a average, retired and forgotten in the mouth of the river Trieux.
- in May 1983 purchased by Serge Le Joliff at a symbolic price of 1 Franc.
- after thorough enquiries the ship underwent a overhaul and restore that lasted 6 years, conversion to a passanger sailing ship until 1992.
- commissioned in the charter business sailing daytrips and weekend long voyages along the coast of Brittany, homeported in Paimpol
- 2009 purchased by Alain Boutry, operated by the association Les Voiles Ecarlates.
- the name means "old comrade"
Contact:Website (français, 20 Mar 2011):
Vieux Copain: website of the operator with many photos, history, specification, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ollivier Puget, Jean-Noël Darde
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
Page: 270 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact