Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Royal Louise"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||VOLLSCHIFF|
|Type of ship:||Miniaturfregatte|
|Yard:||Yachtwerft Berlin, GER|
|Overall length:||17.81 m|
|Length (hull):||15.83 m|
|Sail area:||150 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 17 Apr 2004
- the original "Royal Louise" was built in England at the Royal Shipyard in Woolwich as a 1/3 replica of the frigates of the 18th century in 1831.
- has been a gift of king William IV to king Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia, transferred to Berlin via Hamburg in May 1832.
- used at least until 1914, based on the lower lakes of the river Havel, close to the king's and later emperor's residence at Potsdam since 1842,
- 1891 general overhaul and repair of the "yacht".
- during the winters she got shelter in a boat house at the island Pfaueninsel close to Potsdam, here she spent the Word War I.
- sold to the Reichsmarine in 1934/35, brought to Kiel in the 1930s and restored by the Reichsmarine, became a memorial in Kiel, survived the war but was scrapped in 1947 on order of the Brittish commander.
- todays "Royal Louise" was built at the Yachtwerft Berlin by longtime unemployed in 1996-98, christened in 1997, after a short break she was completed on order of the BTG Consult Berlin under supervision of the Navcon (naval consulting) Wolgast, her rigging is very authentic, launched in 1998 at the river Dahme and begin of trials.
- should be used for charter and mainly chartered by politicians or companies and their guests, fitted with luxurious interiour, licensed for inland waters only.
- since 2003 offered for sale, purchased by the Royal Louise e.V. Yacht- und Schiffahrtsverein zu Potsdam, after an overhaul they want to recommission the frigate in May 2004 during the Classic Sail in Berlin.
Contact:Website (deutsch, 08 Feb 2022):
Royal Louise: website of the operating association with photos and basic information about the ship, contact