Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Enterprize"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||TOPPSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||Polly Woodside Maritime Museum,|
|Overall length:||27.00 m|
|Length (hull):||16.10 m|
|Sail area:||192 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||Cummins 6BT Diesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 24 Feb 2002
- the original "Enterprize" was built in Hobart in 1829 and carried livestock and other bulk cartage of the times up and down the east coast of Australia. she brought the first European settlers to Melbourne in August, 1835.
- planning of the replica began in 1989, her keel was laid at the Polly Woodside Maritime Museum in 1991 and she was completed in the old Ports and Harbours yard at Williamstown, launched by Felicity Kennett on 30 August 1997 at Hobsons Bay.
- operated by the Enterprize Ship Trust, a non-profit organisation, funded partly by operational income, but mostly by the generous gifts and donations of individuals and organisations.
- sails with volunteer crew, but always with qualified master and mate on daytrips, weekend and week-long sailing voyages or for private charter and corporate entertainments, the operator provides a range of exciting syllabus specific activity based programs for school groups, and a range of corporate training and incentive reward programs, based in Williamstown, Victoria.
Contact:Website (English, 17 Oct 2001):
Topsail Schooner Enterprize: information about the ship, many photos and its history, charter and sailing schedule, volunteer info, about the operator, the offers and contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 37 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data