Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Amazone"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||See-Ewer, Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||Hans Jacobs, Moorrege, Uetersen, GER|
|Length (hull):||24.00 m|
|Sail area:||300 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 26 Apr 2001
- built 1909 at the shipyard Hans Jacobs in Moorrege, Uetersen, GER on order of Capt. Ossenbrüggen from Haseldorf, she belongs to a series of 6 Sea-Ewers built at this shipyard in this time, another ship that survived so far is the "Petrine".
- rebuilt and lenghtened by about 10m, fitted with an engine in the 1930s, ongoing reduction of her rigging and removal of the side-boards, as a motor coaster she was named the "Günter".
- until 1980 "Günter" was used as freighter from Wischhafen on the North Sea and Baltic Sea as well as to the industrial towns in the Ruhr district, in her last years as freighter she transported waste glass from Helgoland
- 1984 purchased by a owner group, renamed the "Amazone" again and redeveloped in the following years, reproduction of her original length, rigged in modern style as Bermuda Ketch, interior decoration and furnishing for future voyages with people, predominant private use of the ship based in Hamburg and Heiligenhafen.
- 1997 sold to another group of owners, restoring to an original Sea-Ewer (big 2-masted sailing barge) and traditional sailing ship, since 1999 she carries a gaff rig and is fitted with the side-boards again.
- 2001 another change of the owner, the charitable association "Bildungswerk Nordseewatten" e.V. becomes the operator, using her for educational events and voyages on the river Elbe, in the northern Frisian mudflats and on the Baltic Sea, the proceeds were used to maintain the ship.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 21 May 2021):
Sailing aboard the ewer Amazone: an offer for sailing on board the ship with contact information
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Segler in der Zeitenwende"
Chronik der Seefahrt, Verlag Egon Heinemann, Norderstedt 1977 ISBN: 3-87321-946-8
(Biografie der kleinen stählernen Frachtsegelschiffe (1880 - Gegenwart))
Source with picture Source with technical data
(Hauptdaten und Foto im Abschnitt "Dokumentation")
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 27 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data