Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Maja"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Hans, Thurøsund, Top, Leo|
|Registered port:||Hvide Sande|
|Type of rigging:||3-MAST-TOPPSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||D. Boot, Alphen a. d. Rijn, NL|
|Overall length:||43.00 m|
|Length (hull):||33.00 m|
|Sail area:||320 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||6 Zyl. Deutch|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Dec 2010
- the ship carried the following names: "Hans" (1916) when she was built, "Maja" (1930), "Thurøsund" (1957), "Top" (1959), "Leo" (1967) and "Maja" (1998), during her life she belonged to the following nations: Holland (1916-1930), Germany (1930-1957), Denmark (1957 - up to now).
- built 1916-1919 by D. Boot, Alphen a. d. Rijn, NL; the 1. World War considerably delayed the completion, rigged as ketch, christenend the "Hans KW56", used as fishing logger in the North Sea.
- laid up in a drydock for some years.
- 1921 change of the owner, 1930 sold to Hamburg, GER, converted to a cargoship under sails, lenghtening of the hull by 7m, rigged as 3-masted schooner, new engine, renamed the "Maja".
- until 1957 transport of grain, coal, stone, wood, fertiliser, based in Hamburg she operated in the North Sea and Baltic Sea, predominantly using the engine, step by step removal of the rigging.
- 1957 sold to the Danish shipping company Madsen in Thurø, DK, fitted with a stronger engine, renamed the "Thurøsund", used in the Baltic Sea.
- sold to Horsens, DK, charter by the brewery "Ceres", renamed the "Top", transport of malting barley.
- 1967-1982 named the "Leo" and used by the owner Leo F. Petersen and his wife Gyda Petersen.
- following some shorter trips with goods in the Baltic Sea and near shore until 1996.
- 1997 begin of the conversion to a 3-masted topsail schooner according to her appearance of 1930, fitted to be used in the charter business with sailing guests, renamed "maja" again, homeport was Hobro and later Hvide Sande, DK.
Contact:Website (dansk, deutsch, 28 Dec 2010):
Maja, Bramsejlskonnert af Hvide Sande: website with history, specification, photos, contact, charter information