Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Iris"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Pallas, Aage, Geesje van Urk|
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Heringslogger|
|Yard:||Isaac Figee, Vlaardingen, NL|
|Overall length:||35.82 m|
|Length (hull):||28.30 m|
|Sail area:||590 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Feb 2021
- built 1916 on order of the shipping company N.V. Exploitatie Maatschappij "Nereus" at the shipyard Figee in Vlaardingen, christened the "Pallas" (IJM 287), used as sailing herring logger in the North Sea up to the Shetland Isles.
- after 1920 voyages as a herring logger became unprofitable, 1926 she was put out of service and sold to Karlshamn in Sweden in 1929, fitted with her first engine here and converted into a commercial cargo vessel, used as a coastal freighter in the Baltic Sea (Norwegian and Swedish coast) for the next 40 years.
- 1930 sold to Denmark to Capt. N.J. Moller from Svendborg, renamed the "Aage".
- 1950 fitted with a new Grena engine (166 h.p.), sold to Capt. K. Pedersen from Bornholm.
- in the mid 1970s became unprofitable again as a freighter, decommissioned in 1974.
- 1975 sold to Gert Loomeijer and Marileen Biekart, brought to Holland, restoring and conversion to a sailing ship for voyages with guests, renamed the "Geesje van Urk".
- 1991-1992 another overhaul and refit for voyages on all seas.
- 2001 purchased by Ben Bos, Udeke Huiskamp and Frits and Riemke Leusink renamed the "Iris", voyages in Dutch, French and English waters, registered in Rotterdam she lies in the Veerhaven, 2001 voyages starting in Cherbourg.
- participated in many sailing events at the British, Belgian and French coast and in The Netherlands, Ostend at anchor, Vilvoorde Harbor Days, Brussels Harbor Day, Festival Calais, Festival Boulogne sur Mer, FÃ©camp, Paimpol, Les Tonneres de Brest, Temps fete de Douarnenez, Semaine de Golfe du Morbihan, Bristol and Liverpool.
- since 2008 owned by Ben and Marianne Bos, homeport is still the Veerhaven at the centre of Rotterdam, certified for world-wide sailing, cruises NW-Europe and takes part in small and big maritime events, available for corporate events, takes part in regattas and sailtraining.
Contact:Website (nederlands, English, 28 Feb 2021):
Website about the Iris, information about the crew, equippment, many photos, her sailing region and schedules, offers and prices and contact address