Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Silver Spray"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Lotsenschoner|
|Yard:||P. Smit jr., Rotterdam, NL|
|Overall length:||33.40 m|
|Sail area:||834 m2|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 25 Mar 2021
- built as a pilot schooner at the Piet Smit JR shipyard in 1916
- in pilot service until 1927 after that employed along the shores of Texel.
- bought by a fisherman from the Faroe Isles, fitted with a new engine, set sails to catch whales.
- during World War II, she was stationed at Nova Zembla where she fished for haddock in polar waters, latterly used to catch scallops.
- rediscovered in the Faroes in the late 1970s, the Rotterdam Maritime Museum was very keen to save her as a sole survivor of an interesting class, establishment of a foundation to rescue the ship but caused by a lack of money she faced an uncertain future.
- Jan van Seumeren bought her and embarked an extensive restoration.
- sold 2009.
- refit in 2015, charter yacht in the Mediterranean.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 166 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data