Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Dagmar Aaen"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KUTTER|
|Yard:||N.P. Jensen's Skibs & Badebyggeri, Esbjerg, DK|
|Length (hull):||18.00 m|
|Sail area:||220 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||3 Zyl. Callesen Diesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 03 Apr 2021
- built for the Danish shipmaster Mouritz Aaen, christened after the wife of the first owner, used as a freighter and fishing cutter in the North Sea until 1977, after that rebuilt and used for youth sailing trips under the ownership of Nils Bach until 1988.
- 1988/90 rebuilt and converted to a ship for expeditions under the explorer Arved Fuchs at the Danish shipyard Skibs & Bædebyggeri in Egernsund/DK.
- a long expedition started in April 1991, first she went via the Russian Arctic to the river Jenissej, from there through the North West passage an through the Bering Sea to the North and South Pacific, in Dec. 1995 she rounded Cape Hoorn, return to Hamburg in July 1996.
- 1997 voyage to the Arctic Ocean to Spitzbergen, 1998 hibernated in East Greenland, 1999 training voyage to Scottland.
- 2000 voyage to the Antarctic Ocean on the trace of E. Shackleton, escort ship of the "James Caird II".
- 2001 training voyage in the Baltic Sea and Scandinavian waters.
- May 2002 - Oct. 2002 expedition along the Siberian coastline through the North East passage in the Arctic Ocean; start of the North West passage and hibernation in the Cambridge Bay, 2004 return to Hamburg passing Greenland.
- 2006 expedition to Greenland, return to Kiel, GER.
- 2007 voyage to Spitzbergen, return to Flensburg, GER.
- 2008 training trip to Ireland, Brest in France and return to Flensburg, GER.
- 2009-2010 voyages inthe Northern Atlantic and hibernation in Upernavik, continued to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia to Ireland and return to Hamburg, GER.
- 2011 expedition to Eastern Greenland.
- 2012-2013 voyage to Norway to the Lofoten islands, return to Flensburg, GER.
- 2014 voyages to Iceland, return to Flensburg, GER.
- 2015/16 research project Ocean Change with a voyage from Hamburg over the Canary Islands, Cape Verde and Western Africa to Brasilia, Argentina and Cape Horn to the Antarctic, return over Ushuaia, Rio de Janeiro, the Azores, Brest to Hamburg.
- 2018 continuation of the research voyage Ocean Change from Hamburg over Lerwick to Iceland.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch/English, 03 Apr 2021):
The Dagmar Aaen: photos, technical specification and some historical details, links to expeditions with the ship
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 79 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Gert Uwe Detlefsen, Stefan Lipsky, Heinz Trost
"Veteranen- und Museumsschiffe"
Verlag Gert Uwe Detlefsen 1997 ISBN: 3-928473-34-4
(3. umfassend erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 42 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 90 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data