Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Neire Mâove"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||3-MAST-SCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Cotentin's Schooner|
|Yard:||Carteret by Legueltel Pierre|
|Overall length:||23.00 m|
|Sail area:||180 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 02 Mar 2007
- new built boat (1991, launched July 4, 1992) choosen to represent a family of boats, the Cotentin's schooner, a technological result of both sailors and boat builders, this type of vessel first appeared in the middle of the 19th century, first with a lugger rigging, later with schooner rigging, a typical boat from the French coast, the bays of Sark and Guernsey, used in the fishery, as pilot boat and for all sorts of little jobs.
- design bases on the shapes of the "Lilian" (built by H. Bisson, Guernsey) from St. Peter Port used in the fishery and as pilot boat.
- open sea ship able to face the rough sea and bad weather in the channel as well as grounding in the small ports of the west coast and islands.
- used as charter ship in the English Channel and along the coast of England and France, for sea education of youth and other and as traditional ship at sailing festivals.
- name "Neire Maôve" in the Norman dialect means black seagull.
Contact:Website (français/English, 27 Mar 2021):
La Goélette du Contentin Neire Mâove: charter website with data, history, contact address and the goals of the operators, photos, videos
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ollivier Puget, Jean-Noël Darde
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
Page: 244 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact