Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Stad Amsterdam"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||VOLLSCHIFF|
|Yard:||Damen Oranjewerf Amsterdam|
|Overall length:||78.00 m|
|Length (hull):||60.50 m|
|Sail area:||2200 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 11 Feb 2023
- In 1995, when the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race and Sail Amsterdam finished with a Parade of Sail, many were aware that there was no Dutch fully-rigged ship to lead the fleet. In 2000 at another Sail Amsterdam this situation was solved through the new-built clipper "Stad Amsterdam", project was supported by private and public sectors.
- built to the style of a ship of the 2nd half of the 19th century, the great days of the clipper ships.
- is available for luxury cruises, PR-activities, sail training, sailing festivals and museum/historic activities, is an attraction in ship parades, mainly on the coasts of Western Europe, crossed the Atlantic several times.
- 2001 winner of the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race.
- 2005 flagship of the Sail Amsterdam.
- 2009 eight-month trip to celebrate the 200th birthday of the biologist, naturalist and geologist Charles Darwin (1809-1882).
- November 2019 to April 2020 major overhaul at the Damen shipyard in Den Helder/NL.
- there is a sister ship built in Amsterdam, the "Cisne Branco" for the Brazilian navy.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (nederlands/English, 12 Jan 2023):
The Stad Amsterdam: news, info about all you want to know about the ship and building project, her technical specification and construction, photos, contact address, webshop
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 140 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 160 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 271 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data