Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Landrath Küster HF 231"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Landrath Küster HF 231|
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Finkenwerder Kutter, Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||Sietas, Cranz, GER|
|Overall length:||28.50 m|
|Sail area:||211 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 20 Mar 2001
- built 1888 on order of the local fishermen Heinrich and Hinrich Wulf at the shipyard Sietas in Cranz, launched in March, 1889, used as a fishing cutter, registered under P.C.12 (P.C. for "Preußisch Cranz")
- 1901 sold to Hamburg-Finkenwerder, registration number became H.F.231 (H.F. for "Hamburgisch-Finkenwärder")
- 1904/05 fitted with an engine
- 1939-45 she had to serve the German Kriegsmarine as a mine fischer
- after the war used in the fishery again
- she has been in service as a fishing-boat in the Baltic and North Sea for 81 years, when she was decommissioned in 1970 she was said to be the oldest fishing-boat of Germany still in service
- the taking over by the Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum Bremerhaven failed, so she came to the association "Deutschen Marinejugend" e.V. from Cuxhaven in 1970, renamed the "Freddy Quinn"
- missing maintain led to bad condition of the ship until she was sold to Holland, conversion to a motor sailing yacht was stopped in 1985
- 1991 purchased by the "Altonaer Jugendarbeit" e.V., supported by a national government grant for long time unemployed she was restored in Hamburg at the Lührs shipyard 1992-94, the rebuilding was continued by the "Jugend in Arbeit Hamburg" e.V. from 1995, 2nd launch in May, 1997
- since 1997 she sails as traditionally rigged sailing ship and sailing museum ship in the Baltic and North Sea, used as a cultural memorial and to present traditional technologies in the fishery
- christened for a district administrator from Jork/GER, who granted an interest-free loan for the building of the ship
Contact:Website (deutsch, 18 Jan 2011):
Landrath Küster HF 231: history, ship, charter, supporters, photos, contact
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Heinz Linde, Willi Luther, Willy Mohr
"Seefischerei - Die Männer und Kutter von Finkenwerder"
Urbes Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-924896-37-2
Page: 105, 104 Source with picture Source with technical data
(Kurzinformation im Register)
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 123 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Wilhelm Christian Karl Stammer
"HF - Die Finkenwärder Fischereiflotte"
Books on Demand, Hamburg 2002 ISBN: 3-8311-2927-4
(2. Überarbeitete und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 75,128 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data