Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Gunilla"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BARK|
|Yard:||Dockyard Oskarshamn, SWE|
|Overall length:||61.00 m|
|Length (hull):||49.96 m|
|Sail area:||1040 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 05 Feb 2012
- one of the largest sailing ships of Sweden today.
- launched as a cargo vessel at the Oskarshamm Shipyard in 1940, navigated Swedish waters until 1997.
- today she is chartered by the "Den Seglande Gymnasieskolan" (Sailing Upper-Secondary School) for a greater part of seasons, provides educational program which combines theory and practice for students.
- to meet today's extensive demands for safety and comfort the ship has gone through a total hull restoration and refitting of the rigg.
- sailing routes are often set to fit the routes of The Cutty Sark Tall Ships Races / STI Races and sailing vestivals.
- figurehead shows a young woman modelled after Gunilla, the daughter of a former owner, original figure was not destroyed in a collision of the ship in the 1960s and can be visited in the maritime museum (Sjöfartsmuseet) of Oskarshamn, replica was made in the end of the 1990s.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (på svenska/parts in English, 18 Dec 2009):
Gunilla: website of the De Seglande Gymnasieskola
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 80 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 330 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 100 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Kulturarv under Segel, Levande segelfartygstradition i Sverige"
Sveriges Segelfartygsförening 2007 ISBN: 91-973000-6-3
Page: 114 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact