Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Freddy"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Overall length:||27.00 m|
|Length (hull):||23.00 m|
|Sail area:||260 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 11 Apr 2021
- designed as a cutter for the German navy, should be used for coastguard and as mine sweeper along the coasts
- on the end of the war in 1945 she laid on the pier of the shipbuilder Ernst Burmeister in Burg next to Bremen together with other uncompleted boats, confiscated by the occupying power
- the hull without a name was purchased by the former BP London company, built up as a sailing ship then, christened for the nickname of one of the executive managers the "Freddy"
- her history between 1946 until 1951 is unknown
- since August 30th, 1951 she has been registered in Germany again, owner was the BP Benzin und Petroleum Aktiengesellschaft from Hamburg
- on August 30th, 1974 given to the Deutsche BP Aktiengesellschaft Hamburg, (only a change of the firm's name)
- since Dezember 1st, 1993 owned by the SWW Freddy GbR
- since January 2003 operated by the "Seglervereinigung traditioneller Segelsport e.V" association, ownership since 2015.
- she often participates sailing festivals in the Baltic Sea, i.e. Hanse Sail Rostock, Kieler Woche and the Hamburg habour birthday celebrations.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 11 Apr 2021):
SmH Freddy, sailing in the Baltic Sea: website with offers to sail aboard the ship, equippment and technical specification, photos, history, news and contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 83 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data