Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Ethel von Brixham"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Ethel von Brixham|
|Ex-names:||Lily & Ethel, Lilly & Ethel, Salvøy, Bas, Lønning, Ethel|
|Type of rigging:||STAGSEGELSCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Brixham Trawler|
|Yard:||J.W. & A. Upham, Brixham, GBR|
|Overall length:||30.00 m|
|Length (hull):||24.60 m|
|Sail area:||400 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 22 Dec 2009
- built in Brixham, South Devon, GBR auf der Werft J.W. & A. Upham as sailing trawler in 1890.
- fishing area were the Northern Atlantic and the Biscaya, registered in Lowestoft, GBR, with the numbers LT373, name in this time "Lily & Ethel".
- in November 1906 sold to Sweden, operated by a part owning shipping company, registration in Mollösund, SWE.
- 1916 after change of the owner registered in Göteborg, SWE; renamed the "Lilly & Ethel", probably in 1922 another change of the owner.
- in December 1927 purchased by the Sævlandsvik Partrederi, Kopervik, NOR, renamed the "Salvøy", used as a fishhing-boat and cargo sailing vessel.
- several changes of the owner, since 1940 named the "Bas", since 1941 registered in Stavanger, NOR; renamed the "Lønning", 1945 renamed the "Ethel".
- brought to Hamburg, GER in 1981, refitted as an oceangoing staysail schooner, rgistered in Kiel, GER since 1986.
- since 1996 Capt. G. Bialek is the owner, renamed the "Ethel von Brixham".
- today she is oceangoing veteran sailing vessel in the charter business with the sailing area in the Baltic Sea, mainly the Danish South starting from Kiel and Eckernförde for weekend trips and week-long voyages or daytrips in the Bay of Eckernförde, GER.
- used film ship for the novel "Die Rättin" by Günter Grass in 1997.
- takes part in sailing festivals in the Baltic Sea region, e.g. the Hanse Sail Rostock and Kieler Woche.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 23 Jan 2002):
Ethel von Brixham: a ship with soul, many photos, technical data, ship's history, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 77 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Arne Koslowski (Hrsg.)
"traditions - Geschichten aus dem Meer erzählt von Skippern traditioneller Schiffe"
KardesH-Verlag 2005 ISBN: 3-938314-01-X
Page: 120 Source with picture Source with technical data
(Erzählung von Gerhard Bialek)