Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Karoline of Kirkwall"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Karoline of Kirkwall|
|Type of ship:||Zulu|
|Yard:||Gerrard Brothers, (Aberdeen), GB|
|Overall length:||15.00 m|
|Length (hull):||11.60 m|
|Sail area:||76 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||6 Zyl. Diesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 21 Jun 2016
- built 1979 after plans of a Zulu from 1870 at the Gerrard Brothers yard south of Aberdeen, designed by G.L. Watson (Naval Architects LTD.), Erkine Harbour, Erskine, in Scotland.
- has been the property of Roy Williamson, a Scottish folk singer, for long time.
- after that owned by Capt. E. Sawitzki for some time, who brought the ship to Rostock/GER in the end of the 1990s.
- since 2000 P. Maskus from Stuttgart/GER is the owner, until 2004 the ship was restored in Rostock, in the beginning of 2005 the "Karoline of Kirkwall" appeared in the Rostock Museum Habour again.
- 2008 given to the association Hanse Sail Rostock to be used in non-profit projects.
- different maintenance work for the hull and deck.
- since 2014 owned by Detlef Schiller and Stefanie Ohms, moved and registerred to Kiel, GER; renewal of the interior, privately used.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 117 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data