Ship profile for the sailing ship: "W. Klitgaard"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||Nikolaj Olsen, Frederikshavn/DK|
|Overall length:||26.15 m|
|Length (hull):||20.84 m|
|Sail area:||350 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||B&W Alpha 402 V Diesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 13 Jul 2000
- built in 1891, sailed from Frederikshavn/DK, registered as FN100
- change of the owner in 1901, sailed for the company "S. Bjerregaard & Sønner"
- 1902 sold to shipmaster G. Busck from Rødvig/DK, the owner teached navigation in winter and sailed the ship during the summer, sailing area was the North Sea
- 1905 renamed in "Stevns", new homeport became Rødvig
- 1909 change of the homeport to Esbjerg/DK, 1915 changed to Aarhus/DK registered as AS19
- 1924 the ship came back to Frederikshavn, rebuilt and equipped with a larger engine, renamed to "W.Klitgaard", registered as FN11
- 1925-42 she sailed out of Frederikshavn, well-known as very fast, transport of fish (alive) from Frederikshavn and Læsø most to Copenhagen and Oslo
- 1956 re-rigged and converted to a trawler
- she has been used as a trawler for the next 25 years, decommissioned and laid up in 1983
- in 1983 the organisation "Den selvejende institution W. Klitgaard" took the ship to restore her
- since 1988 when she was re-commissioned she sails as a vintage ship, owned by the "W.Klitgaard" association, operated by the guild "W. Klitgaard"
- Mr. Waldemar Klitgaard (1822-88) was a merchant from Frederikshavn, his son, Mr. Harald Klitgaard, was the initator for buildung the ship
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (dansk/English/deutsch, 20 Jan 2004):
The W. Klitgaard: about the ship and what she is used for, her history and technical specification, photos, contact addresses
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with technical data Quelle with contact