Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Leader"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Brixham Trawler, Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||A.W.Gibbs, Galmpton, GB|
|Overall length:||30.50 m|
|Sail area:||369 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 23 Feb 2014
- built as a ketch rigged fishing trawler in Brixham in 1892, she has worked with the local fishing fleet in the North Sea and English Channel for 20 years.
- 1907 sold to Scandinavia (Sweden) and used as a sail training vessel, operated by the Swedish Cruising Association between 1965 and 1985.
- since 1985 she was used for sailing charter holidays based on the West coast of Scotland under the name "Lorne Leader", returned to homewaters (Devon) in 1996.
- in private hands she joined the Trinity Sailing Foundation in 1999, together with "Golden Vanity" and "Provident" the ship offers sailtraining based from Brixham and cruises along the south coast of Devon and Cornwall, often participated the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Races.
- partly dismasted in a force 7 storm off Portland, South England and towed to Weymouth Habour on Sept. 5, 2011; nobody was seriously injured.
- 2011-2012 replacement of her main deck, the bulwarks and stanchions with financial support by the Heritage Lottery Fund and other organisations as well as individual donaters and supporters.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 122 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with technical data Quelle with contact