Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Albatross"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Donna, Dorothea, Miranda|
|Type of rigging:||4-MAST-TOPPSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||Lindholmenwerft, Göteborg, SWE|
|Overall length:||79.00 m|
|Sail area:||1500 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 30 Oct 2004
- built at the Lindholmen shipyard as 4-masted schooner with engine, Göteborg, Sweden 1942, used for sail training, first name was "Albatross".
- lost of the figure head, an albatross, when she had a collision with a fishing vessel 1949.
- during World War II used as a stationary training ship in Göteborg.
- since 1947 until Oct 1948 chartered by the Academy of Science Göteborg, circumnavigation of the globe, oceanographical research.
- after this time again used as sail training ship until 1965.
- 1966/67 sold and registered as M/S "Donna" in Panama, converted into a freighter, removal of the rigging.
- 1969 sold to SUASAM SA, Panama, renamed the M/S "Dorothea".
- 1970 sold to BOARD OF TRADE SEA TRANSPORT BRANCE, England, renamed the M/S "Miranda", homeport became Hull, East Yorkshire.
- reconstruction and conversion into a fishing supply vessel, used as base ship for smaller ships of the British fishery fleet in the waters araound Iceland.
- sold to FREDERICK OLDHAM LTD, England, remained under the name M/S "Miranda".
- 1981 sold to PAUL ISER, BRD, renamed the M/S "Albatross" again, the plan was to convert her into a holiday ship and cruise liner but this project failed, laid up in Hamburg, later she became the property of the Friedrich Beutelrock K.G., Hamburg.
Contact:Website (English, 27 Feb 2011):
Albatross: her carreer as British trawler support vessel MIRANDA with many photos and history
Website (på svenska, 22 Jan 2004):
Albatross: historical photos, basic history
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with technical data Quelle with contact