Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Peter von Seestermühe"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Peter von Seestermühe|
|Ex-names:||Peter von Danzig|
|Type of rigging:||YAWL|
|Overall length:||17.98 m|
|Sail area:||302 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||Yanmar Turbo Diesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 12 Feb 2002
- built of steel as a yawl under the name "Peter von Danzig" at the shipyard in Gdansk (Poland) in 1936, launched May 2, 1936 and shipment to America to take part in the transatlantic regatta from New York to Cuxhaven.
- until the war she saild several sea trips and participated in regattas, during the war used by the Deutsche Kriegsmarine (German Navy) as a training ship, after the war confiscated by the English and brought to Copenhagen, on her return she was damaged caused by a gale and given bach in German hands.
- repair until 1948, 1951 given to the Akademischer Seglerverein Kiel.
- she sailed a lot of regattas, has crossed the Atlantic several times while her circumnavigations, 1973-74 first Whitebread Race, she was awarded with the "Schlimbach Preis" three times.
- sold by the ASV Kiel in 1991, the new owner Christoph von Reibnitz initiated a general overhaul, installation of her first engine, renamed the "Peter von Seestermühe".
- she sails charter trips in the North and baltic Seas, Atlatik and Caribbean since 1992.
Contact:Website (deutsch, 12 Feb 2002):
Peter von Seestermühe: information about the ship, her detailed history, many photos, schedule and event calendar
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Mitsegeln auf Sail-Training-Schiffen - Ein praktisches Handbuch der S.T.A.G. mit Schiffsportraits"
Nordwestdeutsche Verlagsgesellschaft Bremerhaven ISBN: 3-927 857-61-0
Page: 85 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
(ex-Name Peter von Danzig)