Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Svanhild"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||GALEASSE|
|Type of ship:||Hardanger Jakt|
|Yard:||Stangvik, Todalsfjord, NOR|
|Overall length:||23.80 m|
|Sail area:||340 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||2 * Perkins SABRE|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 03 Feb 2002
- originally built as a 1-masted ship of the type Hardanger Jakt.
- used as a cargo boat from Kristiansund to the Lofoten Islands
- about 1925 conversion of the rig to a ketch.
- in the mid 1930s installation of an engine and reduction of her rigging, used as a cargo freighter along the Norwegian coast until 1976.
- bought by a private owner, who intended to re-convert her to a sailing vessel, the project failed.
- 1983 purchased by Oddbjörn Hovland and Berit Kjeldsberg, after a short stay in Haugesund the town Florø became the homeport of the ship, later some parts of the ship were sold to further owners.
- 1985-1988 circumnavigation of the globe, after return used for different services, i.e. in the film "Landstrykere" by Hamsun.
- 1995 the foundation "Svanhild" was born, which became the owner, in the same time the association "Friends of the Svanhild" was founded to establish an active environment to keep and use the ship.
- 1991 to 2001 an exhaustive restoration of the ship took place, 1991-1997 overhaul of the hull at the shipyard Hardanger Fartoeyvernsenter, completion of the new rig in Florø, financial aid came from Riksantikvaren, the Fylkeskulturkontoret, the Sparebanken Florø-Bremanger and by the city of Florø.
- in 2001 she should sail again.
- 2002 installation of two new engines of type Perkins SABRE, each 182 hp, during her restoration the old engine was removed.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (norsk, 13 Jan 2002):
Svanhild: information about the ship and its history, technical specification, some photos, the operating foundations with contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with technical data Quelle with contact