[Technical data][Slides][History][Literature][Append comments]
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Lowestoft Trawler|
|Overall length:||31.10 m|
|Sail area:||135 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Photo of the ship:
Click in the picture(s) for zooming in.
|Source, Location, Date:|
|Source, Location, Date:|
Sail Brest / Cutty Sark 2002,
Last updated: 25 Mar 2001
- sailing trawler was built in Lowestoft in 1921 and fished the North Sea,
- sold to Norway and spent the next 36 years as a motor coaster under
the name "SvinÝr"
- in 1972 brought back to England for restoration, on deck she is refitted
exactly as she was built, below, the crew's cabin has been re-created
and the fish hold adapted to provide accommodation for sailors,
- intended to be used as an active, sea-going vessel offering traditional
sailing experience to all and keeping alive the knowledge of how such
craft were sailed and maintained
- foundation of the Excelsior Trust to complete the work and operate her
as a sail training ship in 1982, re-commissioned in 1989
- her restoration earnt her the Scania Transport Trust Award in 1989,
in 1999 she was listed by the British National Historic Ships Committee
as one of the original 46 vessels "Deemed to be of pre-eminent
national significance in terms of maritime heritage..."
- usually sails the North Sea including Scandinavia, the Faeroes, and
Ireland, trainees do not need previous sailing experience, although
they are expected to join the experienced regular crew in working
- participation in the Cutty-Sark-Tall-Ships Races, i.e. 2002 from Brest
to La Coruna, Santander and Portsmouth, where "Excelsior" and her crew
was awarded a prize for "seamanship significantly to the aims of sail
training during a race series", which is presented by the Honourable
Company of Master Mariners.
- since 2005 she has sailed under the flag of The Cirdan Sailing Trust
with young people.
Bibliography:Ollivier Puget, Jean-NoŽl Darde
We recommend the following references in the literature for your own studies.
We have marked the literatur involved in generating the ship's profile with a sign.
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. Łberarbeitete Auflage)
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
About compiling ship data and this encyclopedia