Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Sedov"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Magdalene Vinnen II, Kommodore Johnsen|
|Type of rigging:||4-MAST-BARK|
|Yard:||F. Krupp Germaniawerft, Kiel, GER|
|Overall length:||117.50 m|
|Length (hull):||109.00 m|
|Sail area:||4192 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||VEB SKL Magdeburg|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 19 Jan 2014
- built 1921 at the F. Krupp Germaniawerft, Kiel, GER on order of the shipping company F.A. Vinnen from Bremen, GER.
- under the name "Magdalene Vinnen II", she was used to transport salpetre from South America and grain from Australia between 1921 and the end of the 1930s as a freight-carrying sailing vessel.
- bought by the Deutscher Lloyd and renamed the "Kommodore Johnson" in 1936, grain-races between Europe and Australia as sailtraining vessel until the war, last voyage in 1939.
- in WWII she was used as a sailtraining ship in the Baltic Sea, laid up in winter in Flensburg, GER.
- after 1945 given to the British and later Soviet authorities, 1946 renamed to honour the polar explorer Georgi Jakowlewitsch Sedov, 1950 brought to Odessa, since then she sailed under the Russian flag as a sailtraining vessel and for oceanographic research voyages by the Russian Academy of Science.
- since 1965 she sailed for the Ministry of Fishery of the Soviet Union to train the crews and officers of the Russian fishery, registerred in Leningrad, RUS
- after a period without use rebuilding and general overhaul after 1972-1981 in Kronstadt, RUS, rebuilding of former ship's hold to further accomodations for trainees.
- since 1982 voyages to foreign contries and participation in windjammer meetings e.g. Sail Bremerhaven 1995, 1992 Columbus Race and Baltic Sail Rostock 1996, 2nd Hiorten Karlskrona-Rostock race in 1998 and participated the Sail Bremerhaven 2000; offers possibilities for sailing for paying guests
- since 1991 operated by the Murmansk State Technical University.
- 2005 used for film work for the German film "Der Untergang der Pamir" ("Lost of Pamir"), painted in black colour since then.
- May 2012 - July 2013 circumnavigation with calling of more than 30 cities at 4 continents and passing the Cape Horn; afterwards overhaul at the shipyard in St. Petersburg, RUS.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (po russki/English, 17 Dec 2002):
Sedov: website of the ship at the Murmansk State Technical University
Website (po russki/English/deutsch, 21 Jun 2009):
Sedov: about the owner, history, technical data, gallery, schedules, port events, booking, shop, news
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ollivier Puget, Jean-Noël Darde
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
Page: 146 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 285 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 172 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Windjammer der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1999 ISBN: 3-89225-396-X
(franz. Originalausgabe: "Les Plus Beaux Voiliers Du Monde", 1997)
Page: 142 Source with picture Source with history
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 48, 167 Source with picture Source with history
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 126 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 150 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 316 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 162,163,260,296 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
American Sail Training Association (ASTA)
"Sail Tall Ships! A Directory of Sail Training and Adventure at Sea"
2007 ISBN: 978-0-9799878-0-9
Page: 255 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact