Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Alexandria"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Yngve, Lindö, Lindø|
|Type of rigging:||3-MAST-TOPPSEGELSCHONER|
|Yard:||Albert Svensson, Björkenås|
|Overall length:||38.10 m|
|Length (hull):||27.50 m|
|Sail area:||650 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Nov 1999
- launched as a three-masted gaff schooner in Sweden under the name "Yngve"
- rigged as a two-masted schooner in 1937 for transporting fish between Iceland and Scandinavia
- served as a merchant ship under the name 'Lindö' in the Baltic during World War II
- charter vessel with varying owners from 1970
- rigging refitted in 1974 to produce a three-masted topsail schooner
- the Alexandria Seaport Foundation bought the schooner in 1983 and gave her the name "Alexandria"
- took part in Quebec Tall Ships Race (Canada) in 1984
- participated in the Operation Sail in New York in 1986 and the Tall Ships Race organized by the American Sail Training Association in Chesapeake Bay in 1991
- sold in September 1996 when extensive repair became necessary
- lost on 12/09/96 50 sm SW of Cape Hatteras (USA) on a voyage to Beaufort, crew was saved by the US Coast Guard, causes for her lost are the coincidence of unfortunate conditions and the poor condition of the vessel
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 22 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 147 Source with picture
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact