Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Georg Stage"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||VOLLSCHIFF|
|Yard:||Frederykshavn's Værft & Flydedok A/S, DK|
|Overall length:||52.00 m|
|Length (hull):||41.60 m|
|Sail area:||860 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||Burmeister & Wain Alpha|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 22 Jun 2002
- The Danish ship owner Carl Frederik Stage set up the "Georg Stage's Minde" foundation in 1882 and gave the fully equipped ship as a present to it. The ship was baptised the "Georg Stage". Both ship and foundation were named after the ship owner's late and only son. The "Georg Stage" was sold to the well-known captain and maritime writer Alan Villiers in 1934. She is now a museum ship named the "Joseph Conrad" in Mystic Seaport/USA.
- the ship was replaced by a new and slightly bigger construction called the "Georg Stage" launched in 1934 and commissioned in 1935.
- used by young people selected by the foundation for training.
- sails during the summer in the Baltic and North Seas, during the winter months rigged down and laid up in Copenhagen.
- this beautiful ship can only be maintained though the efforts of sponsors and friends.
- traditional maritime customs are maintained, e.g. oil lamps, stoves and hammocks.
- takes part in sailing ship regattas, i.e. the Columbus Grand Regatta 1992, won the A class in the 1996 Baltic Sail Race (Turku to Copenhagen).
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (dansk, 22 Feb 2003):
Skoleskibet Georg Stage - Skibet: about the operator, the history of the ship and general information
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 60 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Beken of Cowes, Eric C. Abranson
"Segelschiffe der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1995 ISBN: 3-89225-314-5
(engl. Originalausgabe: "Sailing Ships of the World", 1992, Thomas Reed Publications Ltd.)
Page: 11,98 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Windjammer der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1999 ISBN: 3-89225-396-X
(franz. Originalausgabe: "Les Plus Beaux Voiliers Du Monde", 1997)
Page: 88 Source with picture Source with history
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 112 Source with picture
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 192, 194 Source with picture
(kurzer beschreibender Text)
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 80 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 70 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 89 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data