Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Äran 1903"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Äran, Äran af Stockholm|
|Base port:||Vilanova i la Geltrú|
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Yard:||Vikens Boatyard, Helsingborg, SWE|
|Length (hull):||23.29 m|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||Scania DSI 11|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 09 May 2011
- built as a topsail schooner at Vikens Boatyard, near Helsingborg in southern Sweden, for A. Olsson, a shipowner from Helsingborg, in 1903.
- freighted various cargoes e.g. finished Bohus granit or grain, between North Sea ports and the Baltic.
- her first engine was installed at the end of the 1930's and she was re-rigged as a topsail gaff ketch.
- several changes of the owner in the 1950s.
- in the 1970s "af Stockholm" was added to her original name to indicate her new home port.
- extensive restoration work, carried out at Kummelnäs warf in Nacka not far from Stockholm, has been in progress since the 1970s.
- caused by economic reasons "Äran" has to be sold by executive auction in the beginning of the 1990s, she laid for some years waiting until the owners Shipping Line La Mère de H.B. appeared and engaged themselves in resurrecting the project.
- sold 2006 to Veles e Vents Navegacio Traditional S.L., a private initiative from Barcelona which is dedicated to maritime heritage and marine environment, 2007 moved from Stockholm, SWE to Vilanova i la Geltrú, ESP; completion of the restoration in a Spanish shipyard in Sant Carles de la Ràpita.
Contact:Website (Català/español/English, 09 May 2011):
Äran 1903: website with basic description of the aims of the owner, some photos, some history, basic technical details, contact info
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Kulturarv under Segel, Levande segelfartygstradition i Sverige"
Sveriges Segelfartygsförening 2007 ISBN: 91-973000-6-3
Page: 256 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact