Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Sunbeam"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Sailing Trawler, Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||John Chambers, Lowestoft, UK|
|Overall length:||23.55 m|
|Sail area:||170 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||Volvo Penta TMD 100|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 26 May 2005
- built 1905 in Lowestoft, England, first owner W. Ratcliff from Lowestoft, 1914 purchased by A.J. Turner, Lowestoft, 1919 purchased by S. Bell from Lowestoft, 1923 bought by Slater and Barnard, Lowestoft, registered as LT669
- 1937 moved to Sweden, Glückmans Metallaffär from Göteborg.
- 1938 bought by Sten Adolf Karlsson from Väjern, installation of an auxiliary engine (55hp 2 cylinder Skandia), replaced in 1944, 1952, 1963 and 1985 by a stronger engine.
- since 1959 G. Johannisson from Hamburgssund owned the "Sunbeam".
- 1962 sold to Upsala Marinbotaniska Medelhavsexpedition AB Uppsala
- since the end of the 1980s several restoring projects were completed, 2005 a voyage to East England is planed celebrating the 100th birthday.
Contact:Website (på svenska, 18 Jul 2013):
Sailing trawler Sunbeam: her website with many historical information, about her restoring, technical specification, many photos
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Kulturarv under Segel, Levande segelfartygstradition i Sverige"
Sveriges Segelfartygsförening 2007 ISBN: 91-973000-6-3
Page: 217 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact