Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Fridthjof"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Overall length:||32.50 m|
|Sail area:||320 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Oct 1998
- built in Norway in 1881 for navigation in icy waters
- used as a supply ship in 1895-96 for polar explorer Fridthjof Nansen's Arctic expedition, after which she was used for Norwegian coastal shipping until 1981
- in 1981 the ship was bought by a Lbeck owner, modernized and operated as a charter vessel
- she regularly takes part in regattas, such as the "Kieler Woche", the "Travemnder Woche" and the Hanse Sail in Rostock
- passengers can experience and enjoy the robust atmosphere of a real veteran sailing boat through its traditional sailing and handling
Contact:Website (deutsch, 13 Jul 2005):
Fridthjof: history of the ship, many actual photos, contact address, offers for sailing
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact