Ship profile for the sailing ship: "El Galeón"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of ship:||Galeone|
|Yard:||Talleres y varaderos Palmás, Punta Umbria, Huelva, Spain|
|Overall length:||49.40 m|
|Sail area:||965 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Komposit / Composite|
|Engine:||6 Zyl. Guascor|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 22 Jun 2021
- replica of a 17th century Spanish galeon, project of the Nao Victoria Foundation, designed by Ignacio Fernández Vial after a long research process, built in a shipyard in Punta Umbría, in Varaderos Palmás, and launched there on Nov. 30, 2009 to be transferred to the Levante dock in the Port of Huelva in 2010, rigged and finally completed there.
- hull and decks are made of glass fibre subsequently covered with wood.
- construction was paid for by several private companies and by the Andalusian Agency for Innovation and Development.
- owner is the Nao Victoria Foundation which operates another replica ship from the time of exploration.
- since her commissioning she sails long voyages to become the port attraction at many sailing festivals, participated in the Shanghai World Expo 2010, returned to Spain calling ports in Taiwan, Hongkong and the Philippines, 2012 visits of many Spanish ports, visited the US American East coast in 2014 calling ports in Florida and sailing northward up to New York and to Portland in 2015, 2016 visited Canada and the Great Lakes region, 2017 included Caribbean ports, 2018 visited ports in Spain, France, the UK and even Germany the first time.