Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Liv"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Colin Archer|
|Yard:||Thor Jensen Båtbyggeri, Porsgrunn, NOR|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 26 Feb 2015
- built in 1893 by Thor Jensen in Porsgrunn, NOR; on order of the Norwegian Rescue Society founded in 1891; based on drawings by Colin Archer, modified by Chr. L. Stephansen.
- in service as a rescue vessel in Northern Norway between 1894 and 1932.
- 1932 sold to H.W. Hansen at Ibestad, NOR and used for the supervision of the fishery.
- since 1945 used as a ferry boat between between Jakobsnes and Kirkenes, NOR certified for 60 passengers.
- 1963 saved from being scapped and given back to the Norwegian Rescue Society (Norsk Selskab til Skibbrudnes Redning - NSSR), tugged to Kristiansund, NOR.
- 1964-1997 owned by Unni and Arne Smith, fully restored in 1979 by boat builders Hansen and Arntzen in Stathelle, NOR; rigged according to Colin Archers rig drawings from December 1892.
- participation in the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Races 1980, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1989 and 1997 winning the sailing competion in her class several times.
- 1991-1993 circumnavigation using the route of the Vikings to Iceland and Greenland on the first leg.
- 1995 sailing trips up the Norwegian coast to Kirkenes and further North to Bjørnøya and Svalbard.
- taken over by Inger and Terje Smith in Autumn 1997, continued to be a family boat, participation in The Tall Ships Races organised by the Sail Training International again.