Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Avatar"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||TOPPSEGELSCHONER|
|Overall length:||34.50 m|
|Sail area:||310 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 26 Feb 2015
- built during WWII on northeast Germany as an auxiliary watercraft for outpost and safeguard for the German navy, a so-called Kriegsfischkutter, camouflaged for fishing, frames were made of steel but with wooden planks.
- after the war taken to the Netherlands, 1957 reconstruction of the hull and replacement of the wooden planks by steel plates, converted to a fishing boat, service in the North Sea registerred amongst others in Ijmuiden, one of her names was "Grietje Maria".
- later used for fishing as sport for some years.
- 1998 sold and converted to a charter ship for sailing with guests, what initially failed.
- 2010 bought by André Hanzens, conversion and rigged as a topsail schooner, commissioned as a charter boat in 2014, christening on the occasion of The Tall Ships Race Harlingen 2014 to the name "Avatar".
- sailing trips at the Baltic Sea and North Sea, participation in The Tall Ships Race 2014 and Hanse Sail Rostock 2014.
Contact:Website (nederlands/deutsch/English, 25 Dec 2014):
Avatar: main technical data and history, many photos, charter information, contact and recent news